Thursday, October 22, 2015

See Inside Your Body

Today's post is on See Inside Your Body by Katie Daynes and Colin King. This is a fun, interactive, informative book that children of all ages will enjoy. It has interesting illustrations, tons of flaps, and is packed full of facts about your amazing body.
You can purchase this fantastic book here
I love this book because it informs kids about their body without dumbing it down, it has thick cardboard like pages and sturdy flaps that will hold up well to children. It also has some internet links which mean you can get even more information by going to the website listed at the back of the book.



I also love that there are so many learning extensions you can do from this book. I searched Pinterest for 'body activities' and came up with a whole slew of fantastic ideas. There were ideas for all parts of the body; blood, brain, bones, lungs, senses, etc. If you are stuck and need some ideas I recommend searching Pinterest. Why reinvent the wheel?
I wanted to be able to do an activity with Spencer this week so my main focus as I was searching Pinterest was to come up with some way to teach Spencer about his body. I found this super cute idea of making a face using felt. I thought, "I have felt! I have scissors. I can totally make that for him!" To be fun and holiday-ish I decided to make a pumpkin face.

Here is the pumpkin face I made.
 I glued the stem onto the pumpkin and I also glued the iris to the eyeball.
Spencer of course immediately ripped off my carefully glued stem! So much for that idea ;)
 Spencer loved this activity! He would walk around the house with the parts and then would run back and put them onto the face.




This is his finished work
We are still working on where all the parts go but I believe with some practice he will get it. As he would put on a part I would say what it was and also say the name and point to where it was on him (eye, nose, mouth). This really was so much fun and easy to make. If you are like me you stock up on felt whenever it goes on sale at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. You never know when you are going to need some felt ;).

What are some of your ideas for teaching your kids about their bodies?

No comments:

Post a Comment